LordStarscream100 returns to direct and write the sequel, which takes more elements from the original series, including the "Rise of the Snakes" and "The Final Battle" story arcs. The sequel stars returning cast members Jack Morris, AckarProductions5, Ryan B, Westificationful, OonieandCacola, JTH Studios, FireStar97Studios and several others, and introduces 1tjmac12 in several major roles, including that of the Overlord and Pythor. The plot takes place four years after the first film, with the ninja pitched against Lord Garmadon and his newly-united forces as they try and awaken the Great Devourer in an event known as the Final Hour.
The film was originally set for release on May 29, 2015, but was postponed various times until the first part was finally released on July 31, 2015. The official trailer for the film was released on April 2. The film's screenplay was officially completed on April 28, with revisions to it commencing shortly afterwards before the lines were sent out to the voice actors. Filming began on June 8 and concluded on Thanksgiving, with the film's final part airing on March 20, 2016.
Upon the release of its first part, the film has gained extremely positive ratings, and also set the record for gaining the most views of any LordStarscream100 film within three days of its release. It is currently the most positively received full-length LordStarscream100 film of all time, with a rating of 92/100, as well as the longest project he has ever created, with a running time of over four hours.
A third and final film, Age of the Golden Master, is currently in the works.
In the 1960's, the sons of the First Spinjitzu Master, Wu (AckarProductions5) and Garmadon (Westificationful) train at their father's monastery. Garmadon is bitten by a small snake and slowly turns evil, eventually betraying his family. He tries to take the sacred Golden Weapons for himself, but consequently is condemned to the Underworld. Fifty years later, following the events of the first film, the Ninja discover that Lloyd Garmadon (JTH Studios) is destined to be the Green Ninja, and for four years they help train him to fulfill his destiny. Cole (Jack Morris), Kai (Ryan Bowman), Jay (OonieandCacola), Zane (Westificationful) and Lloyd, along with Kai's sister Nya (Abigail Pincus), go on a mission to battle a golden robot (Daniel Poulter). After a brief skirmish, the robot explains it was sent to Ninjago by Zane's father as a means of reuniting the two, prompting Zane to go with the robot to the Island of Darkness, where he reunites with his father, Dr. Julien (1tjmac12).
In the urban half of the city, Ben Delmar (FireStar97Studios), Captain Rezzle (ToaGresh300) and Mason Davis (FireStar97Studios) converse with Mayor Anthony Reese (Cameron Morris) about his treatment of the rural part of Ninjago, while in Jamanakai Village, the Ninja discuss the possible return of the Serpentine. While meditating, Sensei Wu has a vision depicting the awakening of the Great Devourer. The next day, the Ninja return to the Slither Pit to see if they can find any Serpentine. While confronting Spitta (NinjaBoys), the Ninja are attacked by Pythor (1tjmac12), who taunts Lloyd before Destiny's Bounty arrives at the scene. Pythor and Spitta are then apprehended.
Cole interrogates Pythor, who says the Serpentine intend to bring about the return of the Overlord, the Great Devourer, and Lord Garmadon. Delmar and Mason Davis go to Wildwood Forest to find more Serpentine, and incidentally they're captured by them. The Ninja go to the forest, which allows Captain Soto (JTH Studios) and his crew to take back Destiny's Bounty and destroy the Ninjas' base. The Serpentine use a portal to bring Garmadon and the Stone Army into Ninjago shortly before the Bounty arrives, and Soto kills Mason Davis. The Bounty flies to Torchfire Mountain with Garmadon and his forces to claim the Fangblades - four artifacts which can resurrect the Devoruer. The Ninja and their allies fight Garmadon's forces on the volcano, but the Serpentine claim the Fangblades despite many attempts by the Ninja to stop them. In the ensuing chaos, Captain Rezzle is killed after destroying a Rattlecopter.
In Jamanakai Village, Sensei is imprisoned,while the Overlord (1tjmac12) returns through the portal. Sensei escapes and confronts Pythor before the Great Devourer is awakened and consumes them both. Lloyd confronts his father and tries to redeem him, but is unsuccessful, while the Devourer escapes the village. The Ninja and their allies feel disheartened, but find the incentive to continue on with the fight. Fearing for their safety, the Serpentine flee underground. The Ninja battle the Devourer at Wildwood Forest before returning to Jamanakai to fight Garmadon's forces. The Great Devourer destroys the Tread Assault, Fire Mech, Ultra Sonic Raider and Blade Cycle. Dareth gains control of the Stone Army using the Helmet of Shadows while the Devourer destroys Destiny's Bounty. The Ninja relocate to the top of Jamanakai's electrical tower, where they keep the Devourer occupied. The colossal serpent shakes the tower until Kai falls and is eaten. Garmadon betrays the Overlord, and yearns for the Ninja to give him the Golden Weapons so he can kill the Devourer. Garmadon does so; the Devourer disentegrates in a huge explosion, and the Ninja brace for a final time as the tower collapses. The Ninja reunite with everyone else, including Wu, Kai and Vladimir, who survived being eaten. The Overlord condemns Garmadon and drains his power. Lloyd confronts the Overlord, unlocking his True Potential and fighting the dark lord with the Golden Dragon. The dragon injures the Overlord and vanquishes him by incinerating his power source. With the Overlord and the Devourer gone, the Ninja and their allies rejoice as Garmadon reunites with Lloyd.
Wu and Garmadon stand together at the Monastery. Garmadon expresses his regret over having turned against his brother and trying to destroy Ninjago, yet Wu comforts him, as the two agree that a new age is on the horizon. At Bowler Airfield, the Ninja look at the wreckage left over from the battle. Despite feeling they have defeated their adversaries, Kai remarks that there's always a need for a Ninja, and when they're needed they'll take action.
In the after-credits scene, Pythor emerges from the creek, having survived being consumed by the Devourer, yet his skin is now bleached white.
- Jack Morris voices Cole Hence
- AckarProductions5 voices Sensei Wu
- Ryan B voices Kai Fellows
- Westificationful voices Zane Julien
- OonieandCacola voices Jay Walker
- JTH Studios voices Lloyd Garmadon
- FireStar97Studios voices Ben Delmar
- FireStar97Studios voices Mason Davis
- ToaGresh300 voices Captain Rezzle
- Ryan B voices Vladimir Dubrovky
- Collector1100 voices Dareth
- Abigail Pincus voices Nya
- 1tjmac12 voices Dr. Julien
- Daniel Poulter voices Lucas
- 1tjmac12 voices The First Spinjitzu Master
- Daniel Poulter voices the Juggernaut Robot
- FireStar97Studios voices Fangtom
- LordStarscream100 voices Slithraa
- JTH Studios voices Mezmo
- OonieandCacola voices Rattla
- Fangdam (mute)
- Cameron Morris voices Mayor Anthony Reese
- Russell P voices Cillian Fincher
- JTH Studios voices Captain Soto
- 1tjmac12 voices Lord Garmadon
- Westificationful voices Young Lord Garmadon
- 1tjmac12 voices Pythor
- 1tjmac12 voices The Overlord
- Garnettfox voices Skalidor
- NinjaBoys voices Bytar
- Westificationful voices Chokun
- Daniel Poulter voices Snike
- Biopower 1000 voices Acidicus
- NinjaBoys voices Lizaru
- NinjaBoys voices Spitta
- NinjaBoys voices Lasha
- 1tjmac12 voices General Kozu
- Biopower 1000 voices Samuel Mercer
Following the success of Ninjago, the film was announced on January 22, 2015. LordStarscream100 has confirmed that the film will focus on the first few seasons of the original TV show, all the way up to episode 26. Major parts of the plot will include the Serpentine/Great Devourer and the Overlord/Stone Army story arcs. All of the remaining characters from the first film are set to return for the sequel. Upon the film's announcement, Ryan B and Russell P were confirmed to be returning from the first film. On January 23, FireStar97Studios was confirmed to be returning from the first film, and so were Westificationful, Stormjay Rider and JTHStudio on January 25. That same day, LordStarscream100 sent a message out to the cast members of the first film inviting them to reprise their respective roles for the sequel. On January 26, Ackarproductions5 confirmed that he would be reprising the role of Sensei Wu and Cameron Morris confirmed his return as Mayor Anthony Reese.
The first casting call for the film's new cast members will take place on February 6, 2015. Scriptwriting for the film officially began on January 27, 2015. On January 29, OonieandCacola and Jack Morris confirmed that they would return as Jay Walker and Cole Hence, respectively. Collector1100 signed on to return as Dareth on January 30, 2015. Due to time restraints, he has requested that the size of his role(s) are not too big. He has stated that he may be interested in voicing at least one of the new characters. That same day, ToaGresh300 confirmed he would return as Captain Rezzle. As a result, the entire cast of the first film is confirmed to be returning for the sequel.
On February 11, LordStarscream100 confirmed that a shipment of over 1,000 pieces has arrived in order to build the Great Devourer for the film. It is expected to be the largest model of the creature ever produced, and it will also be the largest LEGO model LordStarscream100 has ever designed and built. On March 1, LordStarscream100 revealed that Garnettfox has joined the cast as Skalidor, and 1tjmac12 has joined the cast as The First Spinjitzu Master, Dr. Julien, the Overlord and General Kozu. On March 20, it was confirmed that Biopower 1000, who was previously known as BioPower OneThousand and voiced Lou Hence in the first film, has signed on for the role of Samuel Mercer. On March 21, LordStarscream100 confirmed that scriptwriting for the film is currently on hold because he is sick, and he doesn't want to write during that time because he feels it will interfere with the quality of the script. On March 22, LordStarscream100 confirmed that NinjaBoys has signed on to voice Lizaru and Spitta in the film. On March 23, LordStarscream100 confirmed that 1tjmac12 will be voicing Pythor in the film, NinjaBoys will be voicing Bytar, and Biopower 1000 will be voicing Acidicus. On March 27, LordStarscream100 confirmed that Daniel Poulter has joined the cast as Snike and the Juggernaut Robot.
On March 29, LordStarscream100 confirmed that the film has been pumped a month further from its May 29 release date to June 26, 2015. This has been done so that he will have more time to work on the film's script. On March 30, LordStarscream100 returned to the film's set in the woods for the first time in several months to inspect any possible damage. He says that there has been minor damage done to the set, but it should be repaired in time for filming. On April 1, LordStarscream100 finally revealed the voice actor of Nya to be a YouTuber named B CM, although her account is not visible since so many people have gone by this name. The official trailer for the film was released on April 2, featuring the First Spinjitzu Master hiding away the Fangblades on Torchfire Mountain many years ago. On April 20, LordStarscream100 confirmed that Westificationful will be voicing Chokun in the film.
On April 28, LordStarscream100 confirmed that the film's screenplay has been completed. He spent the next week doing revisions to the script before sending the lines out to their respective voice actors in the first week of May. On May 1, LordStarscream100 confirmed that Daniel Poulter has been cast as Lucas in the film. On May 3, LordStarscream100 confirmed that NinjaBoys will be voicing Lasha in the film, rounding out the film's entire cast. On May 12, LordStarscream100 sent out all of the lines to all of the voice actors, after having spent the last couple of days organizing them.
Filming officially commenced on June 8, and continued on June 9, 10, and 11. On July 4, LordStarscream100 confirmed that FireStar97Studios has been dropped from the role of Lord Garmadon due to creative differences, and Breezy CM had to resign from the role of Nya for other reasons as well. Soon after, LordStarscream100 confirmed that Part 1 of the film will not be released on July 10 because he is still waiting for lines from several voice actors. On July 11, LordStarscream100 confirmed that Westitificationful has been recast in the role of Lord Garmadon, while GuardianSorceress Alanshee has been recast in the role of Nya. She was previously one of the people who originally auditioned for the role. On July 12, LordStarscream100 said that he plans to use more music from the TV Show than he did in the first film. The first film did feature various cues at times, although LordStarscream100 feels that they were heavily overshadowed by the presence of the film's other music, such as many pieces from Transformers and The Dark Knight Trilogy. Scott later confirmed that the film will feature music from the first two seasons of Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu. The second trailer for the film was released on July 19.
With editing/voice actor conflicts still underway, and a release date still uncertain, filming continued on throughout the first half of July. However, due to the hot weather conditions, filming has become limited. On July 20, LordStarscream100 confirmed that 1tjmac12 has been recast in the role of Lord Garmadon. Westificationful resigned from the part because he was unable to find a suitable voice for the character. He is, however, still set to voice the younger version of the character in the film. Filming for Part 2 was completed on July 21. Filming for Part 3 commenced on July 22, and continued on July 23 and 24. On July 24, 1tjmac12 completed his lines for Lord Garmadon, and on July 28, Collector1100 completed his lines for Dareth. On July 29, LordStarscream100 confirmed that his sister, Abigail P, has been recast in the role of Nya. He felt that he could not find a suitable voice actor to fit the part, and ultimately considered his sister for the role because she's been hoping to be in one of his movies and will do great in the role. Filming was paused for around a week and a half due to the harsh weather conditions in the area. Filming continued on August 4 and 5. JTH Studios completed his lines for Lloyd Garmadon on August 31.
Filming started up again on September 6, with filming for Part 3 on the verge of completion. Filming for Part 4 commenced on September 7, with there being one scene from Part 3 left to shoot for around a week. Filming continued on September 8, and picked up again on September 13 through the 17. Filming for Part 3 was completed on September 15, with filming for Part 4 still in progress. On September 24, Russell P completed his lines for Cillian Fincher. On October 10, filming continued on once more after a lengthy hiatus, with filming for Part 4 being completed that morning. Filming for Part 5/Finale commenced that morning as well, and continued on throughout the afternoon. Filming picked up again on the morning of October 11, and continued on throughout the afternoon once more. The same was done on October 12.
With fall setting in and the weather starting to change, filming picked up again on the afternoon of October 14. It paused for several days before starting up again on October 17, in which filming took place throughout the morning and afternoon. Filming continued on October 18, although the cold temperatures for the day limited the shoot to the afternoon. This was the last major day of filming for Rise of the Great Devourer. Filming continued for several days at the end of October.
At the end of October, an update to iMovie on Scott's computer deleted most of his projects entirely, including the third part of the film, as well as all of his footage libraries, although the footage was still intact elsewhere on and off of the computer, although all of it was disorganized. Shortly afterwards, a major event came up that threw everything into complete disorder - causing the greatest delay of any of Scott's projects. The plan is to switch the film's editing program from iMovie to Final Cut Pro X, primarily due to the cost of the program and whether or not his computer will be compatible with it.
Despite the effects of the delay, filming eventually started up again on the afternoon of November 25, with the final major scene being filmed early in the morning of Thanksgiving on November 26. There is set to be one more scene in the film that will be filmed indoors. On December 19, Scott officially purchased Final Cut Pro X, and began rebuilding the footage libraries in the program. On January 3, with the libraries rebuilt, Scott officallly started editing the film again. Within three weeks, the third part of the film was finally released on January 24, after a four month wait. Afterwards, editing for the fourth part commenced, with it being released three weeks later, on February 14. Scott then paused editing for the film to return to edit Jurassic Shark III, with the third part of it having been released at the end of November. Editing for Part 4 was completed on February 27, and was released the same day. Scott commenced editing for Part 5/Finale of Rise of the Great Devourer at the end of February, and it was released three weeks later on March 20.
The film has gained an extremely positive reaction, with a rating of 88% based on 1257 likes and 175 dislikes, as well as many positive opinions from the audience, both the cast members and other viewers. When combining the reception of the film itself and its trailers, it also has a rating of 88% based on 1388 likes and 188 dislikes. The first part of the film gained over a hundred views within a day of its release, then reached two hundred views within two days of its release, and passed over three hundred views in under three days within its release.
In comparison, Part 1 of Ninjago gained around fifty views within a day of its release, then around fifty more views within two days of its release, and then around twenty more views within two days of its release. Overall, the first part of the first film gained around 120 views within three days of its release, while its sequel's first part gained nearly three times as many views in that timeframe. Rise of the Great Devourer's first part beat the first part of Jurassic Shark III: The Revolution, which gained around 150 views within three days of its release, while this film gained twice as many in that timeframe. Ninjago: Rise of the Great Devourer has set the record for the most views received by a LordStarscream100 movie within three days of its release, whether it be a single part or a full movie.
Within a week of its release, the first part of the film had gained 700 views. For many days following its release, iit gained at least 60 views eachg day which is the longest time a LordStarscream100 film has had an ongoing period of popularity. In comparison, the first film gained 50 views on the day of its release and another 50 views on the day after, but it wasn't until January 2015 (six months later) where the first part gained over 20 views in one day. As of September 23, Part 1 continues to gain around 60 or more views each day. On September 23, the first part of the film officially became the most-liked single part of any of LordStarscream100's films. On September 25, the second part of the film was released. As November began, the first part of the film began gaining at least one hundred views a day.
- The "Taking the Bait" scene, where Jay, Delmar, Zane and Cole use their vehicles to distract the Devourer, was loosely based off of the scene from the TV show and Jay and Zane run through Ninjago with the Devourer in pursuit. Furthermore, this entire scene was improvised on the day it was shot, as LordStarscream100 didn't like how the script turned out.
- Shortly before Kai knocks the Helmet of Shadows off Garmadon's head, Garmadon says, "A wise man once told me to never trust a snake! But then again, he also told me to win at all costs!". He is actually referring to Master Chen, a character from the fourth season of the TV show, who told Garmadon both phrases during a flashback in the fourtieth episode, Spellbound.
- The scenes where the Overlord "lectures" Lord Garmadon are heavily inspired by the scenes with the two characters in the twenty-fourth episode of the TV show, The Last Hope. Some of the dialogue from the original scenes was even incorporated into the film.
- In Day of the Great Devourer, the thirteenth episode of the TV show, Zane's face is scarred after the Devourer attacks the Ultra Sonic Raider. In the film, when the tower collapses after the Devourer explodes, Zane's face is scarred.
- After the Devourer mutilated the Ice Dragon and left its body in the creek, Lloyd was thrown into the same area by the Overlord, to which Lloyd unlocked his True Potential and became the Ultimate Spinjitzu Master. In doing so, the Golden Power that Lloyd unleashed surged into the body of the dragon, reviving it and transforming it into the Golden Dragon.
- This scene is loosely based off of the final battle in Rise of the Spinjitzu Master, when Lloyd unlocks his True Potential and, shortly after, materializes the Golden Dragon.
- The final scene of the film was rewritten long after the script was completed earlier in the year.
- The scenes where the Serpentine are on board Destiny's Bounty with Lord Garmadon pays homage to various scenes from the TV show, in which similar scenarios were depicted. In the TV show, however, when Garmadon and the Serpentine meet Soto and his crew for the first time, the pirates kick them off the ship. In the film, the pirates look to Garmadon and his army for help in conquering Ninjago.
- Just like in the TV show, specifically episode 26, Rise of the Spinjitzu Master, the fate of General Kozu is left unknown after the final battle. In the film, Kozu is last seen freezing in place after Dareth, who was in control of the Stone Army, ordered the army not to move until he tells them to. Dareth then threw the Helmet of Shadows, which allowed him control over the army, into the murky creek.
- Scott was initially against giving the film such a huge running time, but after looking through all of its scenes and even cutting some out, he eventually realized he couldn't shorten it, and felt the story was told to the best of his ability.
- Abigail Pincus, the younger sister of director LordStarscream100, voices Nya in the film. Abigail was LordStarscream100's last choice to play the character, after the previous voice actresses either dropped out or didn't suit the role.
- Stormjay Rider, who voiced Slithraa in the first film, was initially set to return to voice the character. Upon being approached by LordStarscream100, he stated that he would voice him, although he hadn't even watched the first film. Months later, after having not received a response from him on his lines for the project, LordStarscream100 came to the decision that he would be taking over the role of Slithraa in the film - making Slithraa the first character voiced by two different voice actors.
- Most of the film's antagonists are new, while most of its protagonists are old. It does, however, feature several new protagonists and old antagonists as well.
- Westificationful voices Chokun in the film. Coincidentally, Chokun is a redeco of Fang-Suei, who Westificationful voiced in the first film.
- In order to use as much of the original music composed by Jay Vincent and Michael Kramer as possible in the film, LordStarscream100 downloaded nearly every released track from the first two seasons. He used much less music from Steve Jablonsky and Hans Zimmer, stating that the Ninjago soundtrack is definitely something that can stand by itself and not be heavily mixed in with other music. Jablonsky's expanded score for the Transformers films, as well as Zimmer's expanded score for Man of Steel do have prevalent parts in the film's score.
- Due to its more calm, classical and orchestral tone, John Ottman's expanded score for X-Men: Days of Future Past is a major figure in the film's music as well.
- The Overlord's mouth moves as he speaks. In order to make the movements look realistic, LordStarscream100 downloaded 1tjmac12's lines to his phone and listened to them as he filmed the Overlord, so that he could match the movements of his mouth and body with the original lines. LordStarscream100 aimed for the Overlord to be one of the highlights of the film.
- The film broke the record for being the most-viewed LordStarscream100 film/part within three days of its release.
- It is also the most-liked part of any LordStarscream100 film, with 981 likes.
- This is Abigail P's first major film role since Jurassic Shark three years earlier, as she was recast in the role of Nya.
- Westificationful voices the younger version of Garmadon, while 1tjmac12 voices the corrupt version of him. AckarProductions5 voices both the older and younger versions of Sensei Wu in the film.
- 1tjmac12 voices all of the film's main antagonists, and developed a distinct voice for each of them.
- The film combines two separate seasons of Ninjago into one film. In the first movie, the story was loosely based off of that of the first season. This film is based off of the stories of the first and second seasons.
- Westificationful voices the younger Garmadon in the film, while 1tjmac12 voices the older version of him. This marks the first time in the series where two voice actors voice the same character in one film.
- In Ninjago, CarpenterStudios was set to voice Kai, but he was dropped from the role after voicing the character in the film's first two parts, with Ryan B being recast. The same happened with GreshLord, who voiced Zane for the first two parts and was replaced with Westificationful. However, the different voice actors were unintentional, as they were both recasts.
- Voice actor 1tjmac12 was extremely surprised by the size of the Great Devourer in the film's second official trailer. While its shadow was the only thing shown of it, compared to the size of Sensei Wu, it looks gigantic.
- LordStarscream100 said that he won't reveal the Great Devourer itself until it makes its first appearance in the film, calling it the "star of the movie" and that it's meant to be a surprise. He also did the same with the Overlord, whose appearance was entirely unknown until he first appeared at the end of Part 3.
- The film features only five new voice actors. In all, there are eighteen different voice actors.
- There are also nearly twenty confirmed new characters. Two of the new voice actors voice only one character.
- NinjaBoys voices four of the nine new Serpentine in the film. Three of them are in the Venomari Tribe.
- "The Final Hour" was originally going to be the title of the original Ninjago episodes The Rise of The Great Devourer and The Day of The Great Devourer, which would have been called The Final Hour - Parts 1 and 2. Ultimately, for whatever reason, the episodes were not given this title, although LordStarscream100 wrote the "Final Hour" into the film's storyline, calling it an "apocalyptic event".
- The film's trailer is the first full-length LordStarscream100 trailer to run at under two minutes since the first trailer for Jurassic Shark in May 2012. Rise of the Great Devourer's trailer runs at 1:58, while the first Jurassic Shark trailer runs at 1:25.
- The film's second trailer ran even shorter, at 1:08, although it was mainly created to treat the audiences due to the film's delays.
- The film's first official trailer also sets the record for being the first LordStarscream100 trailer to get over 100 views within a day of its release.
- 1tjmac12 is the person voicing the most characters in the film, with a total of six different characters. Three of them are major characters - Lord Garmadon, Pythor and the Overlord.
- Jurassic Shark III actor Dakota Markle was initially rumored to be providing vocal effects for the Great Devourer.
- Westificationful is the only actor from the first film who will be voicing new characters as well as his original ones in the sequel (he returns to voice Zane, but not Fang-Suei and Snappa, as they died in the first film). He will now voice Chokun and the younger Lord Garmadon.
- BioPower 1000 returns to voice new characters, but not Lou Hence, as he too died in the first film.
- Nya is the first female character to be voiced in the series.
- Sensei Wu wears his original outfit in the film. It was worn by the First Spinjitzu Master in the first film, although in the TV show, Sensei has worn it from the pilot episodes all the way up to the end of season four. In the first film, Sensei wore the outfit that he appeared with in the Epic Dragon Battle and Temple of Light sets. Unlike the outfit his father wore, the belt is black and the straw hat is tan. LordStarscream100 says he made this change to give Sensei a greater resemblance to his appearance in seasons one and two, which the film is based off of.